Still time to drop off gifts at Santa’s Workshop

There’s still time to contribute gifts to Santa’s Workshop. Donated toys are distributed to those in need throughout the Danbury community.

Raquel Uchoa, Staff Writer

On Christmas morning, children let their smiles take over their faces in joy as they tear the paper off of their new toys from Santa. 

A program called “Santa’s Workshop,” first began with teacher Kenny Allsworth. 

The program was at first meant to provide gifts to children whose parents could not afford much. However, this led to much more. 

Allsworth retired three years ago as a teacher. Soon after, Alex Trasacco, an architect and design teacher, carried on Allsworth`s tradition, continuing to cause smiles through each holiday season.

Trasacco shows all of the toys donated so far for Santa’s Workshop program.

Even after retirement, Trasacco said that Allsworth is still involved in the program. In fact, each year Allsworth even dresses like Santa for the kids and delivers the gifts to locations throughout Danbury.

Trasacco, also the football coach, says that he continued the program because, “It just felt right, I felt in my heart that it needed to go on, the kids are relying on it.” 

Trasacco said that they go to many different locations in Danbury. “Usually, the toys are sent to the same places each year, like the Women’s Center, or sometimes hospitals. We try and spread them out to the children of families in need in the Danbury area.” 

If you are looking to donate toys to the Santa’s Workshop Program they must be unwrapped. Please drop toys off in Trasacco’s room, A204, by Monday, Dec, 19 for “the ability to bring a child joy this Christmas.”

Trasacco stands in student made North Pole alongside toys.