Talented graphic designer makes her mark

Ania Szurawski

Szurawski holds an official statement written by Governor Dannel P. Malloy in light of Say Something Call- To-Action Week.

Misbah Aziz, Staff Writer

Through hard work and dedication, senior Natalia Szurawski has accomplished much throughout her four years here at Danbury High School.

She credits her parents for her sense of morality and overall resiliency in school, as well as in other situations.

“With my parents coming from fairly strict and harsh backgrounds in Poland, I grew up learning right from wrong very early on and made sure all of the rules were being followed,” she explained.

Polish being her first language also challenged Szurawski, but gave her the opportunity to grow as a result.

“I had to overcome the challenge of having to keep up with the rest of my class so that I could be successful in the future. However, this trained me well in what was to come in school,” she stated.

Her development has allowed Szurawski to become increasingly dedicated to the school and community; her most important accomplishment being the creation of the “Say Something” initiative.

The goal of the initiative was to create awareness of gun violence, chronic isolation, and suicide. It ultimately received the attention of Gov. Dannel Malloy, Mayor Mark Boughton, Superintendent Sal Pascarella Jr., and his fellow school superintendents throughout Connecticut.

“It was so much hard work,” she admitted. “I had to dedicate 20 hours a week in order to accomplish my goals; however, it was worth every second and I have become a better person because of it.”

Szurawski’s “Say Something” initiative was just one display of her caring and selfless attitude.

“Natalia is all around the friendliest and kindest person I know. She is extremely helpful and humble, always putting others needs before her own,” said senior Sophia Pompilio.

Szurawski is also the vice president of National Social Studies Honor Society and a part of National Art Honor Society, and French club.

“It is incredibly hard to describe her because she has so many qualities,” said French teacher Madame Un.

“But if I were to put it simply in French I would say, tout simplement merveilleuse,” she explained.

When she is out of school, Szurawski enjoys producing videos, dancing,  horseback riding, cooking or baking, and spending time with her friends.

She has also made several accomplishments within these interests throughout her lifetime.

“Natalia has been a dancer for several years and skillfully performs in multiple recitals and competitions,” said Emily Barese, a senior.

Szurawski hopes to pursue these interests in the near future studying film studies or a technology related subject in college

So far, she has been accepted into Penn State, Uconn, Sacred Heart, and Quinnipiac; however, she has yet to decide where she will be attending.

“I’m not entirely sure of what I would like to study yet, but it’s never too late to decide. As of right now, my dream is to go into film studies or something related to technology,” she expressed.

Szurawski has displayed her love for graphic design through the creation of several videos, and even the banner for the new Hatters’ Herald website, hattersherald.com, which was launched in the fall. The newspaper made it a schoolwide competition and Szurawski’s entry came out on top.

“Her skills in video production have allowed her to create a number of video projects that reflect her passion and dedication to the art,” said Mariza Lobo, senior.

Szurawski is also eager for what the college life holds and all of the new experiences to come.

“I’m honestly so excited to make new friends, have new experiences, and study abroad” she affirmed.

Her background has allowed her to develop a more open and adventurous attitude towards the unfamiliar.

“Being a bilingual student, Natalia appreciates different cultures and is eager to learn more about the world,” Barese said.

Szurawski’s countless hours of work and service to the school and community have not gone unnoticed to the public.

“Natalia will excel in anything she puts her mind to,” said Barese. “ As she is a kindhearted and generally upbeat person, her future will reflect that nature and allow her to explore not only the world, but herself.”